Sunday, June 16, 2013

Superman is American (or He Should Be)

The new Superman movie made over $100 million this weekend.  Great.  Whatever.  I still can't believe a British dude was hired for the role this time around.  A British Superman faking an American accent?  I don't like the sound of that!  The movie studio couldn't find a dark haired, blue eyed American to play the role?  I refuse to believe the British are doing the jobs Americans can't or won't do.  I saw a movie a while back called Stoker starring Matthew Goode, Nicole Kidman, and Mia Wasikowska.  All of these actors are foreign, yet they all played Americans in the movie.  Were there no Americans available at the time of filming?  I even saw an interview with Matthew Goode where he talked about his worries that he was taking a job from an American actor when he got the role.  Uh, yeah, Matthew.  You should be worried about that. (Side note, I do really like Matthew Goode, so my issues with him playing an American aren't personal and don't reflect on his acting ability.)  But back to Superman.  I know he comes from another planet, but he was reared here in Kansas (right?).  He's the embodiment of the American superhero, yet they put a British dude in the role.  That ain't right!  American superheroes should be American, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment