Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Play That Dare Not Speak Its Name

I went to see the play C*ck yesterday at the Profiles Theatre. I'm not spelling out the entire name of the play for fear of getting co*kblocked (get it?) by Blogger. The play was about one half of a gay male couple who steps out on the other with woman. I guess the one guy, John, didn't really step out on his unnamed partner were kind of on the outs at the time, but it's not clear to me whether they had truly broken up or not. I get the feeling they hadn't. In any case, during the downswing on their relationship, John had a relationship with a woman and when he confessed this to his same-sex partner, all hell broke loose. First, the two guys go at it, then John and the woman have it out, then John, his boyfriend, his girlfriend, and his boyfriend's father all get together for dinner and the chaos continues.

I enjoyed the play, mainly the performances by the two male leads. The fact that they were both quite attractive didn't hurt either! The unnamed woman in the play was clearly out of her league with the two male actors (especially the boyfriend) and this is painfully obvious during their scenes together. The one thing I couldn't figure out was why everyone in the play spoke in British accents. I know the playwright is British, but I really didn't see why the play had to take place in England because there was nothing particularly British about it. It could have taken place in the States and the actors could have spoken American English rather than adopting these British accents that seemed awkward at times. But that's my minor quibble.





No comments:

Post a Comment