Monday, January 20, 2014

The Wolf of Wall Street

I saw The Wolf of Wall Street today. Yes, that's how I spent my MLK holiday. (Don't judge me.) Anyway, the movie was entertaining, but far too long. Like three hours long. Leonardo DiCaprio is starting to look like Jack Nicholson. What surprised me was how funny the film was. Who knew Leo could be so funny? I sure didn't. The scene where he has to get home from the country club after taking a bunch of pills is hilarious. There's a lot of sex and a lot of drugs here and I'm not sure exactly what the point of the movie was, but I enjoyed it. I doubt that Leo scores an Oscar for his performance just because it's not the kind of role that normally wins one an Academy Award. The whole Wall Street bro-culture thing is fascinating to watch because of its sheer ridiculousness. Throughout the entire film, the mantra "bros before hos" kept running through my mind. Maybe I did understand the point of the film after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment