Thursday, January 23, 2014

Passive-Aggressive

I got an e-mail this morning from my boss that was sent from one of our HR people. The e-mail from the HR rep stated that someone who reports to my boss (the person was unnamed) keeps parking in a space that is reserved for two-hour visitors. Apparently, this parking violator has been warned multiple times before about this offense, yet it keeps happening, so the HR rep contacted my boss to, in turn, put the heat on this employee. My question is why was I copied on this? Rather than dealing with the person who is creating the problem, my boss chose to contact all of his direct reports with this nonsense. Hey, I'm not the one parking in the visitors' space, everyone knows who the offender is, so why isn't the offender being contacted directly? We're not children. We don't need to be admonished as a group because of the sins of one person. This passive-aggressive approach to discipline is ridiculous. If I messed up, tell me. Don't send some vague message to everyone in an effort to shield one person's feelings. State the problem to the person who's causing it, tell that person to correct his or her behavior so this problem can be avoided in the future, and keep it moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment