Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Master

I went to see The Master this afternoon.  About an hour into the movie, I felt the same way I felt about halfway through watching The Blair Witch Project:  duped.  The Master has some wonderful performances by Jaoquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman and the film is beautifully shot, but there's no "there" there.  There's no real story.  It's just 2+ hours of Jaoquin being drunk and picking fights and Hoffman talking in circles.  One thing I did take away from the film is that when people are at a low point in their lives, they are vulnerable to the influences of a cult and that vulnerability is presented quite realistically in The Master.  I just wish the film had shown Hoffman's story rather than Jaoquin's because it probably would have been a more entertaining film.

No comments:

Post a Comment