Sunday, September 16, 2012

Holding the Huffy

During these last remaining days of summer, I've been trying to get outside and walk in Prospect Park as much as possible before it turns cold and dark.  It's during these walks that I really miss having a bicycle.  When I moved to Brooklyn from New Jersey nearly three years ago, I got rid of my bike, figuring it was just one more thing that would take up space in my apartment.  However, I now regret that decision.  Yes, it would have been one more thing to take up space in my apartment, but I also would have used it more than I did when I lived in Jersey.  I could have ridden my KMart Huffy to Prospect Park and beyond.  Now if I want to get around the park, I have only my two feet to take me from one part of the park to the next.  New York is suppposed to get a bike-sharing business next year (since things didn't work out this year to get the program organized), and I'm looking forward to that, provided rental kiosks are actually available in Brooklyn near the park.  I could always buy a bike but, as with everything else in New York, bicycles are incredibly expensive.  And I'm not talking about those wonderbikes that I see Lycra-clad people whizzing through the park riding.  I'm talking about plain old ten- or three-speed bikes (preferably one with a little basket attached to the handlebars).  Good luck finding a bike for around $100 in this city.  I could kick myself for not holding on to my Huffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment