Saturday, August 25, 2012

Urban Scavengers

While I was out running errands this morning, I passed by a woman rummaging through someone's trash in the hunt for discarded plastic and glass bottles and aluimum cans that can be recycled for five cents each.  Apparently in New York, it's acceptable to go onto someone else's private property, and rummage through that person's trash.  In Detroit, that kind of thing might cause you bodily harm (or at least end with you getting your feelings hurt).  But in New York, it's another day in the city.  I'm not against someone taking discarded bottles and cans to get a few dollars if the items are placed in a public trash can or even in private trash set at the curb for collection.  However, I am against strangers going onto private property and rummaging through someone's garbage.  That just doesn't seem right.  I know these urban scavengers don't mean any harm, but trespassing is trespassing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment