Thursday, August 9, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild

So, once again, I have failed to agree with the critics.  I just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild and I didn't enjoy it.  The acting was great and it was beautifully shot, but I felt it was the same old sentimental sludge Hollywood keeps churning out.  Haven't we seen this story before?  The poor child having to fend for herself in the cruel world.  The troubled (in this case alcoholic) parent.  The terrible living conditions.  Triumph over adversity.  Blah, blah, blah. 

I couldn't figure out why two women seated in the theater row ahead of me were laughing throughout the movie.  There wasn't much to laugh about.  Being poor, living in a Southern shack, and surviving Hurricane Katrina-like conditions aren't exactly things I consider funny, but apparently these women found them hilarious.  Maybe they had a few drinks before the movie.  Maybe I should have had a few.  I probably would have enjoyed the movie more if I had. 

2 comments:

  1. Objectively:
    Looking beyond the abject poverty, the characters were willing to live life on their own terms and accept the consequences for doing so.

    Yes, we've seen this type of movie more than a few times (especially portrayed by people of color), but I am still inspired by the human spirit that is demonstrated within it. In the changing fortunes of time, one must look to something more sustainable (strength of character) when material wealth is lost or there is none to begin with.

    Subjectively:
    Keep in mind this movie is through the innocent eyes of a child who is shaped and molded by a father who is less than loving, but who grooms his daughter to be a survivor.

    What would have made this movie acceptable for you, short of a total re-write?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto didn't enjoy it - Robin from MN

    ReplyDelete