Monday, August 20, 2012

Sparkle

I saw the remake of Sparkle and liked it.  I am still partial to the 1970s version, but the remake had its moments of greatness, particulary during the musical numbers.  Whitney Houston's rendition of "His Eye is on the Sparrow" brought tears to my eyes and I wasn't the only one boo-hooing in the theater.  I don't know if it was the message of the song, the fact that Whitney died so tragically, what was going on in the movie at the time the song was performed, or all of the above, but the tears were flowing.  I also enjoyed the version of "Jump" in the movie.  I hadn't heard that song in years and I'd forgotten just how great it is.  Detroiters like myself will surely enjoy seeing a movie set in our hometown that doesn't have the backdrop of the city looking like something out of Robocop.  I was happy to see Baker's Keyboard Lounge featured.  Although I'm sure the movie was filmed in California or Canada or someplace, it looked like the real Baker's in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment