Sunday, August 5, 2012

Social Networking and Brooklyn Gentrification

After growing tired of Facebook and its annoying e-mail updates, I ditched it entirely and haven't looked back.  I tried Twitter and lasted three days because I felt like a stalker "following" people.  So now I'm trying a blog which, hopefully, will be less aggravating and a lot more fun.

Since this blog is called "Detroiter in Brooklyn" I figure I should write frequently about Brooklyn and Detroit.  The Brooklyn neighborhood that I've called home for the past two and a half years is Kensington.  In the short time I've lived here, I've noticed it becoming more and more gentrified.  I suspect new people moving into the area are seeking refuge from the higher rents of Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, and elsewhere.  Now this is good and bad.  It's good because no one wants to see their neighborhood deteoriate into a place that's undesirable to live.  (I'm from Detroit, so I have first-hand knowledge of living in a place deemed undesirable.)  However, it's bad because gentification leads to higher rent and no one wants that either. 

In other news, I can't believe Federer got spanked by Murray in the Olympics today.  How did that happen????

No comments:

Post a Comment