Thursday, June 10, 2021

What a Dick!

I just read an article on the Washington Post's site where a guy dumped 80,000 pennies at his ex-wife's house for his last child support payment. All I could think of after reading this story was, What a dick! Even if you've got issues with your ex (which this guy clearly has), why do that to your kids? The mother and kids donated the money to a women's shelter (and good for them for doing that), but it still doesn't dismiss the fact that the father here is a dick. Grow up already, man! You made kids. You got divorced. Support your kids (and not with pennies)!

I was talking with my sister recently about our father and how grateful I am that we have a decent father. Do I agree with my father on everything? Of course not, but he's a good guy overall and I'm glad to have him. I hear horror stories from people about their fathers being straight up dicks or people who don't know their father at all. One of my cousins found out through Ancestry.com that the man she thought was her father wasn't her father at all and now both of her parents are dead and she has no idea who her biological father is. How awful is that? Her parents never divorced and they both took this secret to the grave. Even if your dad is a jerk, in jail, dead, whatever, I think you still deserve to know who that man is.  

As another father's day rolls around in a few weeks, I will be making a call to my dad to tell him how much I appreciate him being there for me. Maybe I should also thank him for not being a dick and for paying the court-ordered child support he had to pay for me and my sister after he and my mother divorced. Thanks, Dad!



No comments:

Post a Comment