Thursday, June 17, 2021

Trying to Care

In my day job, I feel like people are constantly contacting me to do something, ask questions, give advice, solve problems, whatever and I'm often glad to provide assistance if I can. However, sometimes, I just feel like saying, "I don't give two fucks about this. Stop contacting me!" Of course I can't say that or I'd be out of a job (and I need my job), but I'm pretty burned out at the moment. I'll be taking some much-needed time off in a couple of weeks to decompress. 

It's hard to try and care about something that you don't care about. Right now, a lot of folks on my day job are wound up about returning to the office since we've been working from home since last March. Personally, I don't want to go back to the office for a variety of reasons. Yes, I'm fully vaccinated, but I don't want to sit in close quarters with folks all day with people who might not be vaccinated. And what about folks with young kids who can't be vaccinated? I also don't want to get back onto public transit. Ugh. I also don't really care for a lot of the people I had to share space with at the office. (Not folks I worked directly with, but another "team" on the other side of the floor. Ugh again.) I also like being able to use my own bathroom in my own home and eat from my own kitchen. The list goes on. However, if I'm forced to go back to being a commuter, then I'll do what I have to do or get another job that enables me to either work from home or work closer to home so I can drive and avoid public transit. But I said all of this to say that when someone complained to me recently about not wanting to go back to work and listed all the reasons why, I listened, but I didn't really care. I care about my own issues, but not so much about someone else's. Is that selfish? Sure, but Kim Davis is concerned about Kim Davis right now. Sorry...not sorry.

I'm also finding it hard to care about Lin Manuel-Miranda (overrated), In the Heights (not interested), Chrissy Teigan (irksome), the Royal Family (ugly inside and out), and many other things that seem to consuming the news cycle these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment