Thursday, June 24, 2021

Screenwriting? Nah.

I've been taking an online screenwriting class for the past few weeks through a local community college. I signed up for the course because I wanted to learn how to write a screenplay. I wanted to learn the format and what you need to know about the pacing, etc. I'm not planning to write a screenplay, but I wanted to know how to write one in case I decided one day to actually write one. Well, the class didn't go as planned. I'm actually still taking it, but almost done. It just didn't cover what I wanted to learn. Some of the lessons were helpful, but a lot of them involved the instructor posting messages about movies he liked that I hadn't seen (like Juno and MASH). The class just turned out to be kind of a disappointment, but it did convince me that I should probably just stick to writing books. I'm too old and too set in my ways to learn an entirely different format of writing. Maybe if I had been younger and took this up, I'd be more open to it. But now, nah. If someone ever wants to option one of my books for the screen, I'd be happy to sit back and let someone else write the script...probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment