Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year?? (Also, Some Movie Reviews)

 As we walk into 2021, I am trying to enter the new year with hope and optimism that it will be better than the dumpster fire that was 2020. While I realize the problems of last year will certainly follow us into the new year, my approach is to appreciate improvements in the new year, no matter how small they may be. Baby steps may be small, but they still enable that baby to move forward. No, Covid won't disappear overnight and we'll all still have obstacles and hurdles to jump, but we have to appreciate the small victories in life.

In other news, given the kind of fiction that I write, I like to watch gay-themed movies and I've watched a few over this holiday weekend:

Eating Out: Watching this movie caused me to lose 1.5 hours of my life that I'll never get back. I can't believe they actually made a number of sequels either. The story was ridiculous, the guys weren't cute, and pretty much everyone involved was awful. 

C.O.G.: What a depress-fest. Jonathan Groff did the best he could here, but this movie was just one bad situation after another.  I can't believe it was based on a David Sedaris short story (that I'm sure I read back when I used to read Sedaris's stuff before I realized about 70% of it was bullshit). 

You and I: A German movie about two friends (one gay, one straight) who go on a roadtrip and then pick up a hitchhiker who gets in the middle of things. This one wasn't bad. The last 15 minutes were particularly good when the simmering pot of emotions just boils over.

Say Yes: A woman dying from cancer wants her husband to hook up with her twin (fraternal, not identical) bisexual brother after she dies. And they do. Interesting, but I didn't buy it and the actors didn't have any chemistry (male and female). Also, the actors playing the brother and sister didn't even look related to each other. I know siblings don't all look alike, but the casting could have been better on this one to at least get two Latinos who resembled each other a little more closely. 

This list has a lot of duds, but I have seen some really great gay-themed movies also. For example: Four Moons, 1:54, Mario, Shelter, Giant Little Ones. There's good stuff out there, but you have to get through a lot of crap to find it.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment