Monday, December 28, 2020

Post-Christmas Greetings

 I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Maybe it wasn't as merry as past years, but I hope it was still restful and enjoyable. I slept a lot (since I took a week off from my day job), read a lot, and watched a lot of television. Good times. And, hey, any day we're still alive during Covid is a good day to me! Seriously. When people ask how I'm doing, I've been telling them, "I'm just glad to be alive!" 

Recently, I decided to do some research on the Jonestown massacre and I read a book this month about it and also a documentary about some of the women who were main figures in Jim Jones's life, but I'm still having a hard time understanding why so many people followed him, not just in the United States, but out of the country. It's one thing to join a cult in your home country (and that's bad enough), but to pick up and leave your country for a cult is an entirely different ball of wax. And these people didn't relocate to a country that was similar to the US. They went to a remote location in the middle of a jungle. This was the 1970s and there was no internet or anything, but these folks were cut off from pretty much anyone who wasn't also a cult member. Crazy and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment