Saturday, June 8, 2019

Happy Pride Month...See Rocketman

Delayed greetings, but Happy Pride Month! Despite our government's attempts to silence people during this month by refusing to allow embassies in Washington, DC to fly rainbow flags alongside the flags of their home countries, I do hope people are allowed to ignore this foolishness orchestrated by our idiot in chief, Donny T., and celebrate the LGBTQ community. I read the NYPD apologized for their treatment of Stonewall patrons. (Yes, it's too little too late, but it's better than nothing, I guess.) Even though it sometimes seems like we take one step forward and two steps back, I like to think society has moved forward in changing negative perceptions about LGBTQ people. There's still work to be done, of course, but I'm optimistic that things are changing for the better.

Since we are about a week into Pride Month, it was fitting that I saw Rocketman this weekend. I thought the movie was really good and I enjoyed many of the musical sequences. I didn't realize the movie would have dance and singing numbers throughout. It was Cabaret-gay! I was especially pleased to see one of my favorite Elton John songs, "Honky Cat," featured in one of the musical numbers. I also loved the "Benny and the Jets" number although it was far too brief. Rocketman reminded me of the Amy Winehouse documentary where you have people pushing someone to perform despite that fact that the performer is crumbling mentally and physically. It's sad. Elton's story, obviously, has a happier ending than Amy's did.

No comments:

Post a Comment