Saturday, June 15, 2019

The Last Black Man in San Fran

I went to see The Last Black Man in San Francisco today and throughout the movie I kept thinking, I should have gone to see Godzilla...

I am a fan of independent movies and I try to see ones made by people of color because I know they need support. But, regardless of who is behind the screen and on the screen, I calls 'em how I see 'em. The main message I got from this film was that this is what happens when mental health services are removed from communities that sorely need them. Both of the main characters, in my opinion, were sorely in need of mental health services. Also, the main character, Jimmie, was far too attached to his family home. I know how that feels. When you've lived in the same house for a long time and you grew up there, you obviously gain an attachment to it. Unfortunately, Jimmie's family lost their ancestral home and he never got over it. He basically squatted at the property and I can't cosign to anyone just moving themselves into someone else's home like that no matter how attached they are to the property. The film just was all over the place. Although the main story was about Jimmie and his family's former home in San Francisco, it was also about gentrification, family dynamics, and black male relationships. There was just too much going on here and the film suffered under the weight of all of these issues. Plus, I just never believed two black dudes could squat in a huge Victorian home in San Francisco without someone in that neighborhood calling the cops on them. Let's just be real, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment