Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Please Stand Clear of the Closing Doors

When I got on the elevator to leave work this evening, I was alone and I thought I'd be riding down from the 45th Floor to the lobby alone.  But the elevator stopped on some floor in between...and no one got on.  So I waited for the doors to close, but then, at the last minute, I heard someone running for the doors.  The doors started to close and what did I do?  Did I reach for the button to keep the doors open? No.  Did I reach for the button to close the doors?  No.  Instead, I did nothing.   The runner did squeeze a hand through the crack in the doors and they sprung open and she was able to get on the elevator.  She gave me a dirty look when she saw me, too.  I'm sure she was angry that I hadn't opened the doors for her.  I should have done that, but I didn't.  I just didn't feel like it.  I'm sorry.  Some days, I'm not courteous.  Maybe tomorrow if someone's running for the elevators and I'm near the buttons, I'll hold the doors open.  Then again, maybe I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment