Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Brooklyn is a Deathtrap!

The streets of Brooklyn are dangerous and I'm not talking about the persistent crime.  I'm talking about the vehicular accidents.  Rarely a week passes without hearing that someone got mowed down by a speeding driver in the borough.  When I heard about the tragic accident over the weekend with the young couple and their unborn child, I was not surprised that it happened in Brooklyn.  People simply drive too fast here.  I don't know why they feel like the highly residential streets are a speedway or the Autobahn.  I think the high fatalities occur because (A) people are just driving too fast and (B) many of these drivers are simply bad drivers because they learned to drive at such a late age and, therefore, haven't had years of experience driving or learned to drive in some country where the driving rules are a lot more relaxed (if there are any rules at all).  I frequently see people running lights and speeding between lights and stop signs in Brooklyn.  During the six months when I had my car in the city before I sold it, I feared for my life behind the wheel.  Drivers were out of control.  I still fear for my life, but now I fear for it while I'm on foot.  Just crossing the street around here means taking your life in your hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment