Friday, February 15, 2013

Postal Profiling

Back in the days when I was on Facebook, I posted a comment about a clerk at the Kensington Post Office getting angry with me because I didn't want to purchase black history stamps.  Well, this ridiculousness happened all over again today at a post office in Manhattan.  I stopped at the Bryant Post Office on 43rd Street during my lunch hour to buy stamps and the clerk seemed personally offended when I chose the flag stamps over the black history ones.  The clerks in both instances were black and I'm black, so I guess they assumed I wanted black stamps.  I am no way against black history stamps. Sometimes I buy them, sometimes I don't.  My problem is with the profiling going on with the postal employees.  If I don't want black history stamps, don't get an attitude with me.  Sell me the stamps I want and put your ugliness in check.  I suspect these clerks don't push the black stamps on non-black customers or, if they do, I highly doubt they get an attitude if a white or Asian person chooses not to purchase them.  Why am I given the stink eye when I choose non-black stamps?  The clerk I dealt with today practically shoved my change in my hand and gave me a nasty, "Have a good day" after I refused stamps with the founder of Ebony magazine on them.  Huh?  Isn't this America?  Can't I buy whatever stamps I want to buy?  No wonder the post office is going broke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment