Saturday, December 29, 2018

Will and Grace

When I moved a few months ago, I decided against paying for cable on multiple TVs, so I only have it on the one in my living room. That means I'm stuck watching whatever channels I can pick up on my antenna in my bedroom. One of the free stations I get is Cozi and at night they show reruns of Will and Grace. (The old seasons, not the newer ones.) I never really watched Will and Grace when it ran (surprising, I know, given the kind of books I write). I'd seen a few episodes, but I didn't watch with any regularity, but watching the few reruns that I've seen over the past few months, I see why I wasn't a regular watcher. On an episode I watched last night that (thankfully) featured Bobby Cannavale as Will's boyfriend, the main story line revolved around Grace interfering in Will's relationship with his boyfriend. Grace's cockblocking was played for laughs, but I didn't find that tomfoolery funny at all. On top of that, you throw in a heap of nastiness from Jack and Karen and you've got a stew of ugliness. Why was this show a hit? Because it featured gay men in prime time? One who's neutered beyond belief and another who's a stereotypical nasty queen? Please. And don't get me started on how the Latina maid is treated. I can't believe Harry Connick, Jr. starred in several episodes of this hot mess of a show. The same can be said for Bobby Cannavale. I don't know if the newer episodes are any better, but I doubt I'll hunt those down to watch. I've had enough with the reruns. Thankfully Cozi will be changing its nightly lineup in the new year and start showing reruns of the American version of The Office. I doubt I'll watch that either. I remember watching the British series on DVD when my former supervisor loaned them to me. She loved the show, but I just found it depressing. Ricky Gervais was just awful and, for someone who's worked in an office for most of her life, I just found the series depressing. Once again, the "comedy" wasn't funny. Lest you think I'm a stick in the mud, I'm not. I'll laugh at anything, but watching people sling insults for laughs just doesn't work for me. Different strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment