Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Hooray for Nunchucks (in NY)

I read today that a federal court ruled that a ban on nunchucks in New York from the 1970's was unconstitutional. I had no idea there WAS a ban on nunchucks in New York. (Not that I had nunchucks when I lived in NY, but it would have been good to know this if I'd had nunchucks.) As a fan of martial arts movies, I'm glad to hear the ban was overturned. I just wonder why it took so long. This law has been on the books since 1974, I read, and during that time I understand that law enforcement didn't want people copying karate moves they saw by Bruce Lee on their fellow citizens. However, Bruce Lee has been dead for a long time and I'm sure nunchucks haven't been the weapon of choice for some time now. Why did it take so long to get this law overturned?? Also, the guy who brought the suit was arrested in 2000 for possession of nunchucks, not 1977, not 1980, not even 1990...in 2000. Crazy! Aside from not breaking nunchucks out in public, you could be arrested for having nunchucks in the privacy of your own home, as the guy who brought the lawsuit was. Can you imagine going to Rikers for possession of nunchucks?
"What are you in for?"
"Possession of nunchucks."
"Seriously?"
Yeah, seriously. I wonder if brass knuckles are banned. A while back, I looked into whether you can buy brass knuckles from Amazon and the selection wasn't even worth the search. I guess I'll have to go old school if I ever want some by putting some rolls of quarters in a sock to use to smack someone with a la Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment