Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Public Transit

I'm a fan of public transit. Growing in Detroit, public transit barely existed due, I believe, to a conspiracy by the Big 3 automakers (Ford, Chrysler, and GM) to suppress it so that people would buy cars. I didn't realize there was actually good, functioning public transit until I get out of Detroit. In most of the places I've lived (Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, and now Chicago), I can say wholeheartedly that the public transit is good. It's not perfect, but it works (for the most part). Public transit is a great equalizer that joins people of all races, faiths, incomes, and backgrounds and I enjoy living in a place where I'm not totally dependent on having a car. When I lived in New York, I rarely took cabs because it was easier (and cheaper) to just hop on the subway or walk where I wanted to go. I also enjoy taking public transit in cities I haven't lived in, like during my recent visit to Washington, DC this summer. DC's public transit was quick and easy to navigate. Some people are afraid of public transit. I admit I used to be one of those people. I was accustomed to getting into my own car and driving where I wanted to go. But, the more I used subways, trains, and buses in the different cities where I lived, the more comfortable I became with turning the wheel over to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment