Sunday, December 10, 2017

Call Me by Your Name

While I was in New York for a few days last week, I saw Call Me by Your Name and I enjoyed the movie far more than I did the book. What really made the film for me was Timothee Chalamet's performance as Elio. That young man (I want to call him a kid but he isn't a kid) is great. In the book, Elio annoyed me because I felt he was pretentious and whiny. But in the movie, Chalamet brought some humanity to the role. Every emotion he felt for Oliver showed on his face and that's a true sign of a great actor. if not for him, the movie would have been just okay. As for Baking Soda (aka Armie Hammer), he did what he was there to do: look good. He and Chalamet had great chemistry, but Chalamet acted circles around him. I like Hammer, but he's just not that great of an actor. With him, I always feel like he's acting. Still, I really liked the film even though I had to pay $17.40 (yes, $17.40) to see it last Wednesday night. I also paid almost $6 for a small Coke at the theater. These prices are ridiculous!!!! But enough of my complaining. If/When Call Me by Your Name goes into wide release later this month and it comes to your town, check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment