Sunday, November 12, 2017

Murder on the Orient Express

I saw the newest version of Murder on the Orient Express over the weekend complete with Kenneth Branagh and his incredible cookie duster. I remember seeing the original 1970s version at Fairlane movie theater in Dearborn, Michigan. One of my cousins took me, my sister, and some other cousins to see it. I also saw that version on television again as an adult, so I was quite aware of who killed the guy. Maybe knowing the killer created a bit of a letdown for me when seeing the movie with my sister this weekend. While she was concerned about Branagh's moustache distracting her from concentrating on the movie, I found myself distracted by Leslie Odom, Jr. My sister had told me he'd be in the film but as I watched it, I kept waiting for him to show up before finally deciding that my sister had been mistaken about him being in the movie. It wasn't until the movie was over and the credits rolled that I realized Odom WAS in the movie. He looked nothing like himself, in my opinion, and that's why I failed to realize that he was the lone black actor on the train. He looked so different than he does in the Nationwide commercials or on the cover of his latest album that I didn't even recognize him. His body shape (clearly, he'd put on weight), his face, and even his skin color all made him unrecognizable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment