Saturday, November 18, 2017

More Moore?

As I've been watching the deluge of news on Roy Moore over the past few weeks, I can't help but think that the majority of outraged commentators and politicians clearly don't understand people from Alabama. Now I'm not from Alabama, but my father is and I've spent a great deal of time in the state over my lifetime so I feel like I can shed some light on how things work in that state. Back before the primary when Moore was running against Luther Strange, I had a conversation with my father about the race and my father told me he'd rather see Moore win that race because he wasn't the establishment candidate. Crazy Moore who was kicked out of his previous jobs twice, I believe, for failing to adhere to the law with his ten commandments nonsense was still, in my father's opinion, a better choice than Strange. Again, keep in mind that my father was born and raised in Alabama. His thinking about Moore is not different from many people from Alabama. They circle the wagons around people like Moore. Common sense be damned. When I talk to my father tomorrow, I'll ask him about Moore's latest allegations and see if he still feels the same way.

I'm not surprised that Moore is refusing to drop out of the senate race nor would I be surprised if he actually won. I'm not from Alabama, but I know Alabama and when those folks get in their minds that they're right and everyone else is wrong (as they so often do), they'll hunker down and stick to their guns (literally and figuratively). Don't forget George Wallace, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment