Saturday, September 16, 2017

I Remember When

I remember the days when people couldn't be reached. There were no cell phones, there was no email, there was no internet. If someone called you at home and you were out, that person just had to either wait for you to come home and answer the phone or leave a message for you to return the call. "Where's Tim? I don't know. I tried to call him and no one answered. I'll try him again later." Yes, people do still call a person and is unable to reach him or her, but now there are other ways to track that person down. You can text, email, check their Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/whatever and monitor their activity. It's nearly impossible to get off of the grid now. Someone somewhere is tracking you.

I also remember the days when your television programming stopped at night. There were no all-night infomercials or reruns of the news overnight. The television stations played the Star Spangled Banner and then all you got was white noise. Yeah, it used to happen, folks. If you had insomnia, you'd better take out a book to read or turn the radio on because there was no all-night television programming to watch back then. I also remember having only black and white TVs.

I remember when cars has ashtrays in them. Now people just throw their cigarette butts out of the window.

I remember when people could smoke indoors in the workplace. I don't actually remember working in a place where people actually lit up, but I do remember inside smoking lounges. It's hard to imagine such a thing now.

When you get old(er), you start to think about things like this. It's amazing to think about how much things have changed since you were younger, especially when you get past the age of forty.

No comments:

Post a Comment