Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

I've been wanting to see The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover for some time now and it hasn't been available on DVD via Netflix, but it was finally available through streaming, so I watched it this weekend. Crazy! Helen Mirren looked great. The guy who played her husband reminded me of the character who kept screaming, "Where's my hansenpfeffer?" in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. The movie looked like an 80s music video with the changing colors and the Jean Paul Gaultier bondage wear the cast clothed themselves in. The child who kept howling in falsetto throughout the movie made me mute the sound at times. I hate to say it, but when that kid ended up hospitalized and unable to sing, I was glad for the break from his warbling. The movie was a bit of a disappointment to me mainly because it focused too much on the boorish husband basically yelling at folks with shots of rotting food and torture thrown in for effect. I was hoping for more of a story. Oh well. On to the next movie in the queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment