Monday, August 17, 2015

Believe It or Not

I saw a woman driving a minivan with a personalized license plate that said "Aryan 4" on it yesterday. Really? I'm surprised the State of Illinois would allow such a plate, but clearly they did. I had to get a good look at the drive as I passed her. She looked like any other minivan driving suburban white woman with dark hair. I don't know what I was expecting. Someone with Hitler garb or maybe a white robe? What I can't figure out is why you'd have a plate like that around suburban Chicago. (I saw her in Skokie, to be exact, a place with a huge mix of non-white, non-Christian people, by the way.) Maybe Aryan 4 was just visiting from someone less diverse.

Speaking of awful license plates, I used to work for a man whose license plate said "Dick." His name was Richard, but everyone called him Dick because he was old enough to have been given the name before it turned into an insult. He was a very nice guy, but whenever he'd take the clerical staff out for lunch, I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed to be riding in the Dick-mobile. Fun fact, Dick was also a minivan driver. Is there a correlation between minivan drivers and awful personalized license plates?

No comments:

Post a Comment