Sunday, August 9, 2015

I Approve!

Last week, Rob Lowe and John Stamos joked that they'd been seeing each other for years. I wish! These two would make a great couple. Attractive, age appropriate...This is a couple I can get behind. I've watched a lot of gay movies, etc. and one of the things that can kill the vibe for me is if the gay characters don't work for me as a couple. (The same goes for heterosexual couples, but let's focus on the gay couples here.) Brokeback Mountain put me to sleep mainly because I didn't find Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal attractive separately or as a couple. They failed to ignite the spark I needed to be invested in their on-screen love affair. I'm not saying every guy needs to look like Lowe or Stamos, but the couple needs to work. Alfred Molina and John Lithgow worked as a couple in the movie Love Is Strange. They had a very believable relationship and, to quote the X-Files, I want to believe! One of the best on-screen gay couples I've seen was Paul Rudd and Tim Daly in The Object of My Affection. I loved the way they looked together and I loved the way they interacted with each other. When Rudd got himself a new boyfriend later in the movie after Daly dumped him, the boyfriend was such a disappointment. How do you go from Tim Daly to some guy who looked like a troll? I kept rooting for Rudd to get back with Daly even though Daly's character was a dick and I'd read the book so I knew they wouldn't get back together. But I didn't care. Paul Rudd and Tim Daly made an adorable couple. I saw a movie called August a while back with Murray Bartlett and I enjoyed it because I like Murray, but his love interest in the movie didn't look like the kind of guy two guys would be fighting over. The actor reminded me of the guy who played Arnold Horseshack on Welcome Back, Kotter. He was totally out of his league with Bartlett. When I see such a miscast in movies and TV shows, I wonder if the casting director owed someone a favor or something. Did someone's cousin need a job?

No comments:

Post a Comment