Saturday, June 20, 2015

Ugh

The recent tragedy in Charleston has renewed the debate of whether the Confederate flag should be removed from the South Carolina capitol building. When I was in graduate school at the University of South Carolina (before I got the hell out of there and transferred to another school), there was a huge Confederate flag hanging right in the lobby of the dorm where I lived. Every freaking day I had to see that flag coming and going. Ugh. In addition, one of the women on my floor had a huge flag hanging over her bed and her room was right beside the floor's communal kitchen, so if I went to cook something and she was home with her door open, I got a great view of the flag yet again. I complained to the school about the flag in the lobby and was given the usual BS responses: it's tradition, heritage not hate, we understand you're not from here, blah, blah, blah. The sad thing was the woman who ran the dorm who was sent to placate me was black! Clearly, she'd been brainwashed by the USC herself. I know that flag isn't responsible for what happened in Charleston, but it's a symbol of hate and it needs to come down.

My second "ugh" of the day is the announcement that Brian Williams is coming back to TV news. Really?? NBC should have just tossed him aside for good. Watch your back, Lester! I have a feeling Lyin' Brian will sit and wait for the chance to pounce and get his old Nightly News job back. And, sadly, he's probably get it! Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment