Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sweet Tea

I've been meaning to post a blog entry about the play Sweet Tea: Black Gay Men of the South for a week. I saw the one man show last Sunday, but my mind was occupied with other things during the week so I'm finally getting around to it. The play is based on a book of the same name and presents the stories of different black gay men who present brief stories of their lives in the South. I enjoyed the play and the writer and performer, E. Patrick Johnson, was really great. Some of the stories felt a little preachy and there's a lot of religiosity thrown into the mix, but that was expected because you can't really discuss black Southerners without discussing religion. I wish I had stayed after the performance for the Q&A session with Johnson, but I didn't. I thought more black men would be at the show also but the audience was primarily women, black and white (with a few Asian women thrown in), at least during the Sunday performance I attended.

One of the things I really appreciated about the show was the honesty Johnson expressed through the characters who were dealing with racism, homophobia, self-hatred, acceptance, and a whole host of other issues as they just tried to live their lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment