Friday, June 12, 2015

Not Black Like Me

The whole story of black impostor Rachel Dolezal is bizarre and crazy and ridiculous all at the same time. I see a book deal and possibly a Lifetime movie coming out of this whole ordeal. (Cash in while you can, girl!) While I can understand Rachel Dolezal's fascination with and admiration of black people, I can't understand why she'd lie about being black herself. The late great singer Teena Marie often said she felt like a black woman trapped in a white woman's body, but she never denied the fact that she was white and black people loved her and her music. I remember watching an episode of Wife Swap years ago (don't judge me) and a black couple and white couple swapped wives. At one point, the black husband got frustrated with his swapped white wife and told her something like, "If you had to be black for one day, you'd kill yourself!" If that guy's still around, I wonder what he thinks of Ms. Dolezal. She's been black for, what, ten years now and she seemed to be going strong until her white parents outed her. Some people just can't seem to love themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment