Thursday, January 1, 2015

Welcome 2015!

Happy New Year! I certainly hope 2015 turns out to be a good year I welcome the opportunity to put 2014 in my rear view.


In totally unrelated news, I've been watching a lot of movies over the holidays and just wanted to mention a few.


First, Revolutionary Road. WTF? I didn't get it. I'd heard it was so great and the acting was Academy-Award winning, but I didn't see it. Not that Winslet and DiCaprio were terrible, but there was no "there" there. And where was the plot? A bored couple in the suburbs wants to change their lives and move to Paris, but their plans change when she becomes pregnant? Okay. Call me when you get some real problems.


Second, The Babadook. This scary movie (that wasn't really scary for me) was interesting because I wasn't sure exactly what was going on. Single mother has a hyper son who is terribly afraid of some monster that seems to exist only in his mind (or does it?). I wasn't sure if the mother was mentally ill and if she created this Babadook story to scare her own child. The ending also confused me, but kudos to the writer for creating something different in this genre.


Third, Top Five. I largely enjoyed Chris Rock's movie, but it's low down and very raunchy in spots, so prepare yourself. What I mainly liked was that you get to see black people who aren't all the same having very honest conversations with each other, something you rarely ever see in movies. I thought Rosario Dawson was miscast and I had some issues with the portrayal of her white maybe gay/maybe bi boyfriend Brad, but these minor quibbles didn't stop me from finding the movie entertaining.



No comments:

Post a Comment