Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Virtual Medicine

I rarely talk about my day job because of a variety of reasons, but I recently received information about a service my employer contracted (?) to provide virtual medical services for employees. This company (whose name shall go unmentioned) allows people to discuss common, non-threatening medical problems with a doctor via Skype, email, or telephone. This sounds like a terrible idea to me for a variety of reasons. First, how do you know if the doctor on the other end of the line or computer is an actual doctor? He or she could be some joker set up in a rented storage locker in Tijuana with a fake backdrop of an office (for those who choose to Skype with him). Second, the company claims it's HIPAA compliant, but how can it be? How do you know the doctor isn't recording your interaction and putting it on the web somewhere? Third, how can someone diagnose you over the phone, by email, or via Skype? One of the disorders listed as common by this organization is bronchitis. How can you diagnose bronchitis remotely? Do you open your mouth in front of the webcam and hope the doctor on the other end can get a good look down your throat? If you're on the phone, do you cough into the phone so the doctor can hear what you sound like? I've had bronchitis. I have doubts someone could make a diagnosis of this condition without actually seeing the patient who has the symptoms. Is this the future of medical care? I certainly hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment