Sunday, January 11, 2015

Praise for the Sleazebag

I admit, I often love reading and writing about sleazebags. I just finished reading a M/M romance by author KZ Snow called Precious Boy that I largely enjoyed, but the person who really interested me wasn't the main character or the young man he had feelings for. I was drawn to the main character's slightly older ex-boyfriend Donald, the man he started seeing while he was in college and the guy was his professor. Donald, was a dick for a variety of reasons including a lack of commitment and a blasé attitude towards his own son, just to name a few. But Donald was also a hoot to read about. The words that came out of his mouth were often crude and crass, but I loved them. For me, there's freedom in writing for a sleazebag. You need your straight man/woman to tell the story, but you can go off the rails a little (or a lot) with the person who's the shit stirrer. Writing dialogue for the sleazebag, the dirty talker, the bad guy, the seducer can be fun and liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment