Thursday, February 13, 2014

Beer, Wine, Whatever

I went to a meeting of two local aldermen (both of whom are women, but they're still referred to as aldermen here, for some odd reason) last night to hear about issues going on in my new community. One of the aldermen mentioned that a local CVS store wants her approval to sell alcohol at the store. (Maybe here you have to get your local alderman's permission to do this. I don't know.) Anyway, the alderman said she was inclined to let the CVS sell alcohol, but beer and wine only, not hard liquor because she believed hard liquor led to problems. Uh, can't you have "problems" with beer and wine also? I guess I should have piped up and asked for an explanation of the distinction between hard liquor and beer and wine, but I didn't. Most people know when someone goes off the rails because of alcohol, the results are the same whether that person overindulged on beer, wine, or something harder. Is a beer drunk any better than a vodka drunk? I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment