Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Subway Solicitation

When I was on the F train coming home from work tonight, a young black woman got on the train with two young children and asked for money.  Through the music on my headphones, I could hear her saying something about needing money because of Hurricane Sandy, but I didn't catch the entire story.  As a rule, I don't give money to people who pander on the subway and I didn't pony up any cash for the woman I saw today either.  I am strongly against panhandling and it's also against the law to solicit for money on the subway in New York (although I doubt the cops crack down on it).  But I get really annoyed when I see people (women mainly) panhandling with their kids.  They know they're likely to get money if they're with a child, particularly a young child or a baby. (The woman I saw today snagged a few dollars from someone on the train likely because of the two small children she had with her.)  Dragging your child around while you beg for money just isn't right.  If you want to panhandle on your own, more power to you, but don't pull your kid into it.   

As for the woman I saw today, I don't know what her situation was.  Perhaps she and her kids were truly in need, but there are a lot of social programs available to women with children in New York that help with housing and food.  There's no reason to exploit your kids while you beg for bucks on the F train.

No comments:

Post a Comment