Friday, September 9, 2022

Who Has the Time?

I've been spending far too much time watching stuff on Netflix and I have some thoughts:

1. Echoes: Why did this have to be 7 episodes when 4 or 5 would have been sufficient? I only really watched to see Matt Bomer. His beard is coming in gray now. Wow! I don't know why that surprised me. He's in his 40s now. I don't know why he was in the hot mess that is Echoes, but he did the best he could with his part. Couldn't they have gotten a young man who looked a little like him to play the younger version of himself? The guy they chose looked nothing like Matt. The same goes for the actors they had playing the twins. And Michelle Monaghan looked too old to be Matt's wife. They're probably close in age in real life, but she just looked so much older that it was off-putting for me. She also wasn't cute enough to be Matt's wife. Sorry...not sorry. 

2. The Girlfriend Who Didn't Exist: While watching this documentary about Manti Te'o and the guy who catfished him, I kept wondering, Who has the time to do something like this? I have never understood how people who basically cyber-stalk others have the time to do so. Don't they have jobs? Don't they need sleep? Don't they have to run errands and do cleaning? I don't get it. 

3. Untold: Operation Fragrant Foul: After watching this documentary, I still don't understand why Tim Donaghy did what he did. He had a great job, he was respected in his job, and he was basically living a good life and he threw all of that away for (if it's to be believed) not much money. His downfall started when he kept close ties with some neighborhood hoods he'd grown up with. Those guys didn't have anything going on for themselves. They were small-time crooks and he let his relationship with one guy in particular bring him down. It's not even sad, it's pathetic. I got the feeling his so-called "friend" actually wanted to pull the rug out from under him and wasn't a friend at all. But the friend isn't to blame. He may have opened the door, but Tim walked right through it and kept on walking until his crimes caught up with him.

And last, but not least (and totally unrelated to Netflix), RIP to the Queen. I was talking to my sister and the monarch's death and how she's only Queen I ever knew. She's been Queen longer than I've been alive and I'm not 20 or 30 (or even 40) years old. She had a good run. As an American, I have never had much interest in the Royal Family. I could care less about what they do, who they do, etc. Even the whole Harry/Meghan thing doesn't interest me (and there's an American involved). But I know how it is to lose a mother and a grandmother and I'm sorry for that family and for their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment