Sunday, September 18, 2022

Guilty Pleasures

As I've gotten older, I've let go of the idea of reading books or watching movies that I'd be ashamed to admit to others that I actually liked (i.e. guilty pleasures). I firmly believe you should read what you want to read and like what you like. My current guilty pleasures are the low-budget Bad Ben films. I've watched three of them now (Bad Ben, the Haunted Highway, and the Mandela Effect) and every one made me laugh. The guy who made the films (named Tom Riley in the movies) is such a crackup. His accent reminds me of Philly and South Jersey where I lived for a time and the movies are so ridiculous. We all need a break from the gloom and doom that's filling the airwaves lately and my escape from all of that is stuff like Bad Ben. I fully realize I have a low-grade sense of humor. I'll laugh at just about anything. I sent the trailer for the first Bad Ben movie to someone I work with who thought it looked awful. Whatever. He's too high-brow to appreciate the genius of Bad Ben. (I also enjoy Svengoolie movies that come on Saturday night.) I like what I like and I'm not ashamed of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment