Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Gen X Kids

The Illinois State Museum is working on an exhibit about Generation X and, as a Gen Xer, I'm happy to hear this. As the often forgotten generation sandwiched between the Boomers and the Millennials, we don't get the kudos we deserve. 

Although the 1970s and 1980s (when I was a kid and a teenager) had their own distinctive (and often terrible) issues, I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. There was a lot of freedom in being a kid in the 1970s and 80s that kids who came of age later just didn't have. I do think Gen X kids were fed too much of a conservative world view, particularly in the 1980s when Reagan was president. I know I have conservative views of drugs (thanks Nancy Reagan), but I've also seen the effects of drug use for people in my own family and the effects on certain communities during the 1980s. 

In other news, so many celebrity deaths over the past few weeks. RIP Betty White, Sidney Poitier, Ronnie Spector, Bob Saget. Wow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment