Saturday, December 4, 2021

Post-Thanksgiving Greetings

I know Thanksgiving has bee over and done with for more than a week now, but I hope you and yours enjoyed the holiday. Normally my sister and I would travel to Michigan for the holiday, but because of COVID, we've been staying stateside for Turkey Day. The last time we went to Michigan for Thanksgiving was in 2019! Maybe next year...

During the holiday weekend and in the week that followed, I did manage to get a lot of TV time in. My cable provider gave me a bunch of free channels so I was able to catch up on the latest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm (that, unfortunately, isn't that good), the third Conjuring movie (also not great), and an odd movie called Long Weekend (that I only watched because Finn Wittrock was in it). 

Since I finished reading The Power of the Dog, I was ready to watch the movie version when it debuted on Netflix a few days ago. The movie was pretty faithful to the book and, like the book, it's kind of a long slog. I stick by my initial opinion that Cumberbatch was miscast. I did, however, like his interactions with the actor who played Dunst's son. There's one scene with the two of them in a barn and they're sharing a cigarette that is really great. No spoilers, but that pivotal scene really tied the story together. I did wonder if people who hadn't read the book understood what was going on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment