Saturday, February 6, 2021

WFH? WTF?

I consider myself very lucky to be able to work from home through the Covid pandemic. I know many workers don't have this luxury. However, I sometimes feel I'm being taken advantage of by my employer. I certainly more hours than I did when I went into the office each week. I often find myself working on the weekends in addition to working longer hours during the week. My workload has increased significantly due to staffing cuts and shortages. The company is definitely doing more with less. I have to buy my own office supplies and the company refuses to reimburse anyone for these items. (Hey, printer cartridges aren't cheap!) And there haven't been any raises since the pandemic started. These may sound like minor complaints, and they are, but they're still valid. My home is also my workplace now which is great in some ways. I can use my own bathroom, I can eat from my own kitchen, I don't have to share space with others, or see people I dislike during the workday. But where's the separation between work and home? My spare room has been turned into an office, filled with stuff from my day job. Every time I go there, I see stuff from work even when I'm not working. It's depressing because it's a constant reminder of the work I have to do. I often feel like I'm on a hamster wheel and I can't get off of it.

Again, I'm grateful for having a job in this pandemic when so many people are out of work. I'm grateful to be able to work from home when so many others are forced to go out, ride public transit, and deal with catching Covid just in order to earn a paycheck. But I also feel that some of these companies (my own included) have an attitude that workers should take what they can get and shut up. In fact, the HR woman at my company pretty much told me that. It's annoying because if you complain, you're viewed as a whiner.  


No comments:

Post a Comment