Thursday, April 2, 2020

RIP Ellis Marsalis

Well, the Rona claims another victim. This time it's legendary jazz musician Ellis Marsalis. I read about Ellis's death early this morning on my phone during a bout of insomnia. I was fortunate to be able to see Ellis perform in Philadelphia many years ago with his sons Branford, Wynton, Delfeayo, and Jason and the show was excellent. That show also convinced me that Ellis is far more talented than any of his extremely talented children. I have the CD the family put out when they did that tour. I need to dig that out. I posted a message on the NY Times comments section (that I hope gets posted) about Ellis's passing and I wrote that if you want to hear the master at work, listen to his piano solo on Harry Connick, Jr.'s version of "Stardust." It's so great. I'm getting a shiver up my spine just thinking about it.

RIP, Mr. Marsalis. You and your music will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment