Monday, September 2, 2019

Labor Day Greetings

The unofficial end of summer is here with the arrival of Labor Day. Fall is coming and winter will follow. But, for now, I hope you're able to enjoy a day off if you get one and relax. I went to see Steely Dan at Ravinia Park last night. The show was good, but not great. Donald Fagen and the band sounded great, but he didn't do a lot of songs I wanted to hear, so that's why I was a little disappointed. He did do "I Got the News" and that was unexpected. Of course he did the hits "Peg" and "Reelin' in the Years" and "My Old School" in addition to "Sign in Stranger" and "Third World Man" and "The Goodbye Look" from his solo album The Nightfly. (I would have liked to have heard "IGY" or "Green Flower Street" myself.) But we can't always get what we want, can we?

Ravinia Park is a great place to see a show, but you have to deal with people drinking for 5+ hours on the lawn. People can bring their own alcohol (and they do) so there's no one to regulate how much they drink. Riding home on the train last night with man of these multi-hour drinkers was a challenge. If you enjoy seeing middle-aged people sloppy drunk, then the Metra train from Ravinia after a Steely Dan show is the train for you!

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment