Thursday, September 26, 2019

A/An

What is going on with people no longer using "an" before a vowel (or a word that starts with a vowel sound)? I just heard a news caster say something was "a unprecedented" whatever. Shouldn't that be "an unprecedented" whatever? I hear "a" being used when "an" should be used more and more. This former English major finds the trend annoying. It's bad enough that people can't write or spell very well anymore, but spoken language is also biting the dust, apparently. Oy!

In other news, I went to NY earlier this week for my day job. (No pictures this time!) The trip was short and not sweet. The last few times I've been to NY, I've been disturbed by the homeless situation. It seems to get worse each time I visit. During this week's visit, I walked past the huge post office on 8th Avenue near Penn Station about dusk one night and noticed many homeless folks getting ready to bunk down for the night on the stairs. I noticed a lot of young people on the streets during this visit also and more than a few of them looked like they were on drugs (and they probably were). It's a sad situation and I hope something is done to help these folks and get them off the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment