Monday, February 25, 2019

Shinola Is Not Saving Detroit

Despite what you may have heard during last night's Oscars, Shinola is not saving Detroit. I happened to be watching the Academy Awards last night when one of the Green Book writers made that declaration and I thought, WTF is he talking about??? I'm tired of people who aren't from Detroit and/or don't understand Detroit coming in and trying to dissect Detroit's problems. Detroit certainly needs help in getting back on its feet and Shinola is helping, but it isn't saving the city. The city does need companies like Shinola and Quicken to come in and provide jobs for people who live in the city, but no one company can or should take credit for turning things around in the city.

Nothing against Shinola. I have a Shinola watch myself that I love and I was glad to support a company that puts Detroit forward, but to think that one watchmaker is "saving" the city is ridiculous. I shouldn't have been surprised by the Green Book writer making such a statement last night. He helped write a script that pushed the narrative of a white savior to a black man, so it's fully understandable that he'd push the theory of a white company saving a black city also.

No comments:

Post a Comment