Saturday, January 16, 2016

Ten Dollar House

I went to see the play Ten Dollar House last night at the Piccolo Theater in Evanston and it was delightful. The play is about a real gay couple, Bob Neal and Edgar Hellum, who renovated and ran a cottage and sold antiques and served tea during the 1930s. Bob bought a run down cottage in his hometown of Mineral Point, Wisconsin and hired Edgar to help him renovate it and the two soon became a couple although in the 1930s, they were forced to be somewhat covert about their feelings for each other. I thought the play was really sweet as you watched Bob and Edgar fall for each other while trying to deal with financial problems that arose from the purchase and renovation of the house and societal backlash from others in their small community. The actors, Scott Patrick Sawa, and Joe Anderson, who played the couple were great also and had wonderful chemistry. You can see a picture of the real life couple below.

Going to LGBT-themed shows like this is weird now because I feel like I get the side eye from the box office folks or ticket takers when they see my name. Yes, I'm Kim Davis, but not THAT Kim Davis. It really is a shame that my name is associated with that Kentucky bigot. Ugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment