Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Hot Mess

So I finally bit the bullet and read Fifty Shades of Grey.  (I got it from the library, so at least I didn't spend any funds on it.  The NYPL has hundreds of e-copies available for checkout now, folks!) I doubt that I can say anything about the book that hasn't already been said. While it certainly wasn't the best book I've ever read, it wasn't the worst either. My main problem with the writing was the use of Britishisms throughout.  This book is supposed to be about Americans, but the words that came out of their mouths was often British. "Shall I show you?" "I haven't bothered with a suitcase, just a smart rucksack..." Who calls a backpack a rucksack?  British people, that's who!  Not Americans living in Seattle! And what's with Ana's constant use of "Holy cow!" or "Holy [insert word here]"? I'm not in my 20s, but I don't think most 20-year-olds use this expression or any expression that starts with the word holy.

The sad thing about Fifty is that I believe there is a story here (one that isn't told, unfortunately) and that story is about Christian Grey and the woman (referred to as Mrs. Robinson) who turned him into a sexual nutcase when he was a teenager. Now there's a story I would probably be interested in reading, not this hot mess about a college virgin with self-esteem issues who bites her lip and lets her beautiful, rich boyfriend tie her up, spank her ass, stalk her, and pull her tampons out (among other things).

Still, I say kudos to EL James because she clearly put out a product that people wanted.  As Stephen Colbert would say, "The market has spoken!"  Indeed. James has made a boatload of money on these Fifty Shades books and now a movie is in the works. She should squeeze every penny she can out of this franchise because fame is fleeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment