Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fifty Shades of Nobody

Well, now that Charlie Hunnam has dropped out of Fifty Shades of Grey, the movie, who will step in to fill the shoes of Christian Grey? I think it's interesting that Hunnam cited a conflict with his television work schedule as his reason for dropping out. Clearly, he had to know what his work schedule for Sons of Anarchy would be like when he signed on for the movie. His excuse seems like a nice way to say "I changed my mind and I don't want to do this now."

Casting a movie version of popular book is proving to be more difficult these days because of the Internet. Legions of fans of books like the Twilight series and Harry Potter have such expectations when viewing their literary legends on screen that their opinions (expressed loudly and often online) are hard to ignore. There was such an uproar when Hunnam was cast as Grey that I fail to believe the outrage of the fans didn't influence his decision to drop out of the movie. I do think the Hollywood powers that be need to pay attention to the fan base for Fifty Shades because those are the people, I assume, they want to woo. If you want the same women who shelled out for the books to shell out for your movie, you'd better give them what they want or convince them to love what you're offering. I'm sure a lot of actors would run from Fifty Shades, thinking the material is beneath them, but I'm also sure there are a lot of hungry actors out there chomping at the bit for a chance to star in this movie. I doubt they'll have trouble snagging someone else to play Christian Grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment